52 Week Challenge: #1 Earring Display DIY

Tuesday, January 24

This year I wanted to challenge myself to make one thing each week, every week, for one year. I got the idea from some lovely bloggers that I follow, namely Manzanita and her 52 Week Granny Square project. I already love to paint, build, draw and sew.... so I thought that documenting every piece each week would encourage/force me to actually finish the projects I start. Also, my family and friends have been commissioning me to do artwork for them over the years, like original paintings, portraits of kids and dogs of course, and more of my felt bird ornaments!

So, I thought I would begin the 52 weeks by starting with a project I have been wanting to do... I posted some different ideas of how to display your jewelry in cute and creative ways here. It was my friend Jessica's birthday this weekend, and she has a ton of earrings so I thought I would try this out and give it to her.

Here's what you need:
I found this framed needlepoint piece at a local thrift store, I felt guilty at first about removing it from the frame, but I figured I have no place to hang it, and I'm putting it to a new use!
1. First, measure the dimensions of the most inward lip of the frame. This is important because you don't want the mesh to lay flat against the wall, or it would be difficult to insert earrings.
2. Then, using a ruler, draw the dimensions on paper and trace the lines onto the wire mesh. This will help you get the straightest lines.
3. Then cut along the lines, leaving small 1-2" tabs on each side. Place mesh inside of the of the frame and staple the tabs at an angle onto the frame.
4. Finish securing the mesh with small beads of hot glue on each corner.
And voila! your done! you can set the frame on your dresser or lean it against a wall. I secured two metal hangers on the back and tied some velvet ribbon so that it can be hung on the wall like this...
She loved it!

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I'll have to try this for sure -- thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was super simple, and easy to make. Thanks for checking out my blog! I've just started it, I can see you've done the same! Good work!, love the flower magnets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absoloutly LOVE this!! So creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I love this! This is a wonderful idea and one I will definitely try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been dying to make one of these! where did you get your mesh backing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine from a home & garden store called Do-It center, but you can find it at any hardware store. They usually sell it by the yard like fabric, so it only cost me $4!

      Delete
  6. good luck with your 52 week project, glad to have inspired you! I love this earring display. I love giving these as gifts. Good job lady:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love your granny square project. I've been following your blog for a while and I love it!!

      Delete

Calico skies All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger