So, as you may have noticed, I've completely fallen off the map the past month. I just needed a break. My first year of teaching full time has really taken a lot out of me, as it should. Everyday when I get home from work, I have so much planning for the following day, week, and well, the entire school year. My thoughts are consumed with how I can create lessons that engage all of my students in learning. Some days are great, and I'm filled with hope, and I'm reminded of why I chose to be a teacher. But then the next, I'm nearly in tears and I feel like a failure. (I've been told this is normal so for the 1st year, so that's some relief). This leaves me with little mental and physical energy, that all I want to do is just sleep.
By my first week of teaching, I knew/feared that I would have to abandon Calico Skies because it just seemed impossible to continue the way I had been. I stopped posting, and shut out any comments, or interests in sponsoring, because I just couldn't face it. But now that I've got somewhat of a handle on my classes and curriculum, I see that I might be able to keep this little old blog alive. Just maybe not in the same way.
I'm reinventing Calico Skies. My life has completely changed, so it only seems right to reshape CS to better reflect my life. For example, my 52 Week Challenge seems less like a challenge and more of a chore now. I have new challenges that are just, more of a priority for me now, aka my students. Not to say that I won't still be making crafts and art projects, but they probably won't be a regular feature, at least not now (there's always summer vacation, yessss). And I loved having sponsors and button swapping, but I just don't see myself having time to keep up with all that on a regular basis. So I think I'll have to come up with a simpler solution, because having blogger friends is what it's all about right?
CS will be more about my everyday life and interests.
- I want to become a better photographer, so you'll definitely see more of that.
- I want to go back to painting. Although I've loved making cutsie diy projects, there's a reason why I got my B.A. in Drawing & Painting, and I miss it.
- Living in Pasadena is completely awesome, there's so much to see and do, so I plan to share more of those adventures.
- I want to be more selective at collecting vintage and antique pieces, and actually go through with my original idea of opening up an Esty shop to sell my stuff.
- Now that I have my own kitchen, I want share more of my recipes and the all fatty foods I love to eat.